Welcome! We're tracking 16,541 Jaguar E-Type cars, with 173,109 photos! (Learn More)
xkedata.com > blog > 2007 > 10 > 11 > calendars-areoff

If you got here via Coventry Racers, XK Data, Saloon Data, XJS Data, XJ6 Data, XJ220 Data or Healey Data, this blog can't "live" on multiple domains as the blogging software doesn't support it. The items discussed below apply to all domains, and I'll endeavor to highlight items from all sites.

Calendars Are…Off

Filed under: Site Updates

Ford has decided to bring a trademark infringement action against my sale of merchandise in the Cafe Press store. Calendars are off until further notice. I “make” a few hundred dollars a year from the fund-raising merchandise there and cannot afford to pay an attorney to even attempt to sort this out. The sites cost enough in time and effort already.

Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted.

BY rogerlos ON October 11 2007 @ 11:57am | Comments (8)

8 Comments »

1. Interesting. I was just reading a similar post from another car collector website: http://arunaurl.com/176e

Comment by Charles Hixon — October 11, 2007 @ 12:20 pm

2. Has anyone bothered to inform Ford that bringing suits against your customers is akin to eating your own legs?

–chuck

Comment by chuck goolsbee — October 11, 2007 @ 1:03 pm

3. maybe they have a claim with the Logos, but the rest should be covered under “fair use” if you can prove this is more a hobby/labor of love than a true for profit biz. In fact if they push it too much it could be good for your biz & theirs since they probably subscribe to the “any news is good news/publicity”

Comment by AAMcAdams — October 11, 2007 @ 5:57 pm

4. Roger

If you mail me, I’ll give you a Director contact at Jaguar who you can talk to – he’s helped me in the past with legal issues similar to this for Jag-lovers when we were developing their logo

Tony

Comment by Tony Bailey — October 12, 2007 @ 2:45 am

5. This is the same nonsense that P*rsche and F*rrari have pulled for years. Try and market something that even alludes to their precious logos. Chuck’s comment that this is akin to eating one’s own legs is right on. All this does is alienate the true enthusiast. Hopefully this will sort itself out.

Comment by Mark Shipley — October 13, 2007 @ 7:40 am

6. Bloody !
    I wanted to buy some this year as Xmas presents.
    Why not only a poll on this site to elect the MVPs (most valuable pictures)?
    Bernard

Comment by Bernard — October 14, 2007 @ 7:46 am

7. Roger, So what exactly was the objection and the threat? Was there a specific Jaguar image whose use they objected to? My service guy in Sydney, Aus, had to stop calling himself a “Jaguar” place by the way – it was part of his trading name however. Regards, John Elmgreen

Comment by John Elmgreen — October 14, 2007 @ 8:57 pm

8. John, I have never heard from them. My theory is that the (probably) ten billable hours Ford got socked for was for someone typing “Jaguar” into the cafe press search box, and then indiscriminately sending out “take down” noticed to Cafe Press to anyone who showed up in the results.

Comment by roger — October 16, 2007 @ 11:43 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.